Pages

Monday, May 07, 2007

Steve Coppell's my hero

During Saturday's game with Watford, Reading had a pretty good appeal for a penalty turned down. The moment was pivotal. Although Reading had dominated the game, Watford, playing with the freedom of relegated teams, went on to win the match. Afterwards, Coppell was asked the tired old question about whether the ref, Dermot Gallagher, had affected the result. But to my astonishment, Coppell refused to jump on the managerial badnwagon and slag off Gallagher. Yes, it was a pivotal moment, he said, but No, he wouldn't blame Gallagher, who he in fact complimented, saying, the veteran ref had been a great servant to the game. I take my hat off to you Mr. Coppell. Now there's style.
(In case you're wondering, the picture has nothing to do with the text. It's a view of the pool and the Caribbean at the Barbados Hilton. I couldn't find a picture of Steve Coppell!!)

No comments: