Pages

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Assessements

As I've said earlier, I'm going for promotion to Level 5 this season. It's pretty clear to me, mainly due to my abject failure to shed any weight this summer, that I will not succeed. I've had my first assessment this season and the conclusion was clear and correct. I'm not getting into the positions I need to be in to make the best decisions and I'm too far behind the ball.
I know this, but I also appreciated the criticism the assessor made of some of the decisions I gave - or did not give - during the match. Admittedly the game was not one of the most challenging. Both teams were friendly, but the assessor made several points that surprised me.
Being assessed is difficult, especially for someone as opinionated as me. I know that I won't get the Level 5 this season - perhaps I'll try again when I'm fitter, but it does us refs good to have our bad habits pointed out by a former ref who has seen a lot of football and who is willing to turn out and give an honest impression.
The assessor was complimentary of my communication skills - something I pride myself on - but the warning was clear that I'm having to make decisions from too far away. That's too risky.
I didn't like some of what I read in the assessment, but most of it was spot on. And it'll help me in my next match: hopefully.

No comments: