Pages

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Handball yellow - did Ronaldo deserve it?

Did Ronaldo's handball merit a yellow card on Sunday? In red below are the latest version of the Laws of the Game from Fifa's website. Much as i dislike Ronaldo's histrionics and much as I like Howard Webb as a referee, I would have to say there has to be doubt over whether his offence meets either of these two criteria.

There are circumstances when a caution for unsporting behaviour
is required when a player deliberately handles the ball, e.g. when a
player:
• deliberately and blatantly handles the ball to prevent an opponent
gaining possession
• attempts to score a goal by deliberately handling the ball


Did he handle the ball to prevent an opponent getting it? Strange when all he had to do was head it down to score. Did he try to score Maradona-style by handballing? Didn't look like it.

The incident has thrown up considerable confusuon over when a yellow should be awarded for a handball.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Consider this one - Ronaldo deliberately applauds in an effort to get sent off. It fails, so he deliberately handles the ball. 2nd yellow, so he is off. Nice break for him just coming up to Christmas. Behind with his shopping perhaps? Or just a little tired??
S Wales Ref

Lillevenn said...

S Wales Ref, while in my heart I agree with you, we surely have to ref with our heads. Yes, Webb should have sent him off for the sarcastic applause. Mistake One. Handball? yes, but cautionable? I have my doubts.
Anyway, another matter altogether. You ever heard of the town of Llanybythr near Lampeter? It's where my Mum was born

Anonymous said...

I certainly do! Gone through there on my way down west many times - there are those who would say 'wild', but I wouldn't.

I think Mr Webb got it right in the end though.

Blwyddyn newydd dda i chi!
(Merry Christmas to you!)

S Wales Ref