Pages

Sunday, December 04, 2011

Kicking myself

I found myself unexpectedly fixture free this weekend, and had already started making plans with my wife when the phone rang on Saturday morning at about 9.30am. Was I free for a match? I thought quickly, before deciding I should not upset the applecart at home. I declined the fixture, having been reassured by the fixtures secretary Steve K that he could easily find another ref. My wife knew who had been on the phone and said, "why didn't you take the appointment?"
And so I tootled around most of the day, doing odd jobs. I iced a couple of Christmas Cakes, went for a long, hour and a half walk with our Golden Retriever and also watched Chelsea finally win a game.
But something just wasn't right. My Saturday had lost its shape. In fact I was missing refereeing!
Sunday morning, woke up feeling fine. No stiffness and creaking joints that show how much of a struggle it can be to drag these aging bones around a football pitch. I even missed that.
Ah well, a lesson learned. When the floods or the snow wipe out most fixtures in January and February, I'll look back to this weekend and kick myself even harder.

No comments: