Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Who said that? Curser avoids a card

We're 10 minutes into the cup match and the game is progressing nicely. Ball goes out of play and the club assistant, doing his job properly, points his flag in the direction of the throw. I'm watching play from about 20 yards away and suddenly, from behind me, I hear "Lino you're a cheating c**t."I turn around to look at four defenders and a goalkeeper. It's obvious to me that the shout came from 50 yards away rather than 15 and that it's 99 percent certain that - for some unknown reason - the goalkeeper has screamed out the abuse that would normally earn him a straight red card.


But I didn't show him a red card. In fact I didn't even show him a yellow. The reason? I didn't see him shout the unpleasant curse. Although I was virtually certain it was the goalkeeper who shouted the abuse, I could not, hand on heart, say with absolute certainty that it was him. At an appeal hearing, the first thing the panel would say would be; "well referee, did you see the player shout abuse?" And the answer would have to be 'No.'

The goalkeeper didn't fall for the method that occasionally works. "What did you call him?" He'd been around too long for that, so I had to settle for a reprimand. The opposing team and manager were, of course, outraged and wanted to know why I had not taken any action. "If I can't see it I can't give it," was my response. I'd have liked nothing better than to have kicked the foul-mouthed 'keeper off the pitch, but couldn't.

No comments: