Pages

Monday, January 07, 2013

FatRef's comeback ends in the x-ray department!

After a lay off of more than three months to cure a hairline or stress fracture of the fifth metatarsal, a pathetic little bone in the foot, I was desparately keen to get back into action on Saturday. Unfortunately, it ended in tears and more x-rays in the A&E department at Maidstone Hospital, which showed the fracture has not healed. The pain is several times worse than it ever was the first time round and I'm watching my left foot swell and blacken!

I felt it the first time I tried to run on the line on the boggy pitch. Searing pain in the left foot that meant running was out of the question. I called the referee over to tell him I couldn't move much, but told him I was prepared to wave the flag as best I could if there was no better alternative.
I made it to half time, limping slowly up and down the line, but it was just too painful and I gave up after 45 minutes, driving back up the M20 in a foul mood made worse by the pain every time I had to change gear.
I have the distinct feeling that's my season done for, and there may even be a possiblity that age and lack of fitness have brought my inglorious reffing career to a close. We'll see.

No comments: