Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2015

May have to change this blog to "NotSoFatRef.com"

It started on April 15 after a visit to the doctor confirmed that I had tipped over into the realm of diabetes, Type 2. I was weighing in at unprecedented levsl of fatness and was really disappointed with myself.
So I decided to do something about it. I hesitate to admit what I weighed, but I will, as I had really ballooned out.
I was 147 kilos, or just over 23 stone, on April 15. Bad news indeed.
The diabetes news really hammered it home. I was beign stupid.
So I did something about it.
For the past few three months I've eaten between  700 and 1,000 calories a day and worked out quite hard at the gym.
I have lost 23 kilos, or 50 pounds, or three and a half stone, so I'm now 19 and a half stone.
I'm really pleased.
But I'm not even half way there. I aim to lose another stone for the start of the season, where I've agreed to referee on Sunday mornings as well as Saturday afternoons.
I have another 30 kilos to lose. That's a lot.
But I am no longer in the diabetic frame, the doctor told me recently, and my other checks - blood, cholesterol etc etc - are all normal, for the first time in many years.
I tried my ref's shirt on secretly last night. It fits properly!!
So I'm still fat, but hopefully I'll be a lot less fat soon.

1 comment:

JG from MN said...

Well done, thus far! As someone who has watched most of my family struggle with excess weight, and both types of diabetes, allow me to share some insights. Your accomplishment so far is great, but those were the easy pounds to lose. Expect the next 50 (and maybe even just the next stone) to be more difficult. Just walking around with 50 fewer pounds means you're expending fewer calories to get from point A to B. Having said that, use this knowledge to be realistic in your expectations, and don't get discouraged. Like life itself, this is a marathon, not a sprint. It took years to reach 147-- don't expect to return to 95 in weeks. Your 700-1000 cal/day regimen might border on obsession (of course, I don't know you at all), so you might want to start to think about what happens when the obsessive drive peters out. How are you going to maintain your new, svelte-ness? What is the proper calorie count, for you, to keep the weight off, and what does that look like in real food?
I wish for you the willpower to keep taking off the weight, and even more willpower to keep it off!