Pages

Friday, March 20, 2009

Souness - what a gent!!

Graham Souness and Chris Sutton have both been accused in recent days of losing control of themselves at their children's matches. This is what Souness - whose temper is legendary - had to say about the incident involving his son. I leave it to the reader to decide just how far from the truth his version is ...

"The former Liverpool star was accused of swearing at the opposing team's coach after his nine-year-old son James was subjected to some heavy tackling by rival players.
"Last Saturday I went to watch my boy play football for his club as I usually do," Souness told BBC Radio Five Live. I turned up 10 minutes late and was told by another parent that I'd missed a kid from the opposition being sent off because he'd lashed out at my son. So I had a laugh about that. Ten minutes later, another kid lashes out at my son, kicks him when he's got his back to him. So now the referee's got a problem. Will he have to send two kids off? He's looking for help from the coach of the other team but it's not coming.
"So a good two and a half minutes later I went over there. I'm quite angry by this time, not because my son's been kicked - he's big enough to look after himself and if he wants to play football it's something he'll always have to deal with. I went over to the coach and I admit I swore. And when I saw there was a lady present I apologised to her. And I said to this guy 'How can you condone that'?
"He said it was a one-off so I said it wasn't and that it had also happened 10 minutes before I got here with another kid. So in training he must allow that to go on. That's my take on it. If they're doing that at nine, what will they be doing at 19? At that point I turned and walked away and some very unattractive woman said to me 'Get off the pitch'. So I said 'Why don't you shut up then'? and that was the extent of me being rude. I've come away, that's the end of it and they've chose to somehow speak to a journalist to get it in the newspaper. And it was reported in a manner that was totally unfair."
"If my son had acted in that way, I'd have taken him off immediately and told him he wouldn't be playing for two weeks. I used one word I shouldn't have used but if the same thing happened on Saturday, I'd do the same again."

No comments: