Pages

Sunday, April 05, 2009

A glimpse of the high life - Millwall style

An unusual weekend as I had the chance to sample the higher echelons of refereeing, running the line at an academy match between the young professionals of Millwall and Peterborough United at Millwall's training ground at Bromley. The difference with my usual routine was marked, and apparent as soon as I walked into the plush changing rooms at 10.05 for the 11a.m. kick off. My two colleagues were there already. "Where's your bloody tie," said my colleague on the line, an old acquaintance. I was wearing my suit but no tie, a breach of reffing protocol. It was the first time I had officiated at this level so hadn't been aware of the tie rule! The FA appointed referee, who had made the trip from Reading for the match, was the fittest 52-year-old I'd ever seen and gave an authoritative set of pre-match instructions. The ref had officiated at a senior level in the past so the match was no major challenge for him.
Although they were as hormonal as all 18-year-olds, both teams plaed fast and slick football and it was only in the second half that tempers flared. The referee kept a firm grip on the game, communicating well with players.
It was interesting to listen to the parents of these lads standing behind me. They clearly had little concept that their lads were there to learn. Their only interest was in seeing their lads win the game. If only they knew that the coaches cared little for winning games and are there to spot the lads who might make it to the senior grade. It was clear that there were two or three players on each side who played at a different level.
Running the line was no major challenge; dissent levels were lower than the usual league I ref in and the boys rarely found themselves caught offside. Pushing and shovng each other off the ball was the main thing to worry about and we all three soon found ourselves back in the hanging rooms with cold drinks and sandwiches.
An enoyable experience I could get used to!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. "High Life", "Millwall", and "Style" all in the same caption? Has anyone ever seen this phenomenon before? What are the odds that all three would appear in an English sentence NOT typed by 1,000 chimps chained to 1,000 typewriters?

Fatref, you are a literary genius!