Pages

Friday, May 08, 2009

Handball or not?

Fascinating to see Dermot Gallagher on Sky declaring that the Barcelona handball in the 94th minute against Chelsea was one of two contentious decisions the Norwegian ref got right. gallagher said he turned his back on the ball and it hit him, so not deliberate and not handball.
I would have argued the opposite, that if a player turns his back on the ball and puts his arms in the air and the ball hits his arms, then it's handball.
But I guess that's the joy of football.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought the first handball was exactly that as the arm is in an un-natural position and played the ball. The one Dermot and you refer to I agree with Dermot. Yes the player has jumped with his arms out but he's not looking at the ball and therefore is there any intent? You see them given but in the semi final of a Champions League Semi, I think not, especially after the previous appeals that were more nailed on.