Pages

Friday, February 03, 2012

Ken Bates and a touching gesture

Not two phrases you'd expect to see in close proximity, I'll agree, but nevertheless the much maligned Chairman of Leeds United was responsible for the gesture.

So many people at many English clubs can't stand Bates. My first memory of him dates more than 40 years back, when he was Chairman of Chelsea. Bates was a mythical figure on Fulham High Street then and my older brother, just 16 years old, spent a season as an apprentice with Chelsea. It's why I still support them today.
My brother Tim never made it into the first team. It was hardly surprising. Chelsea were rampant that season. He was a gangly young centre forward and there was a certain Peter Osgood ahead of him, knocking in goals at leisure. That season Chelsea finished third in the league and won the FA Cup in a legendary replayed final against Leeds.
Dave Sexton gave my brother a free transfer at the end of his first season and he ended up with Bournemouth, not quite as glamorous. But Tim had a lifetime of memories from that season with Chelsea..
The years went by and my brother led a full life until he died suddenly a few years ago at the age of 50.
Sad times but among the letters that arrived for his widow was a note from one Ken Bates. I was astonished. I don't know how he found out and why he thought it worth sending a sympathy card to the widow of a 16-year-old who spent a season with Chelsea in the Reserves and youth team.
But I've thought of Ken Bates in a different light since that day.

No comments: