Pages

Thursday, February 02, 2012

Neck jewelry's taking it just too far

Us refs are all used to carrying out the traditional jewelry checks pre-match, with a quick glance at the ears, fingers and - more recently the eyebrows - of players to see if they're wearing stuff they shouldn't be. Even wristbands now come under our scrutiny.

After carrying out the usual checks, I was horrified five minutes into the game when a home player ran in front of me, revealing two large, chunky metal studs embedded IN HIS NECK. My God, what next, I thought to myself, blowing my whistle.
"You're going to have to take those out player," I said, expecting - and receiving - the usual, "but they don't come off ref." I bit my lip, forcing myself not to say, "what, does your head fall off if they come out?" Off he went to the side of the pitch and I noticed a lot of rustling and the appearance of tape and bandages.
"You can't tape them up, they have to come out," I shouted. Much harumphing and gnashing of teeth but at the next stoppage ... up goes the flag and a substitution is made. The metal lover's game is over after 5 minutes.
The captain makes a plea to allow him to tape the studs up but it's a non-starter, A wedding ring that will not budge, I'll make an exception for, but metal studs that could injure an opponent or himself; that's just plain nuts.
I was apparently the first referee ever to notice these adornments and the first to make a fuss.
Well, I just hope the player gets them taken out; he'll probably enjoy a longer run in the team.

No comments: