Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

And Screech! Reffing comes to a sudden halt

Saturday morning and I'm thinking of wearing the brand new kit that's just arrived, the All Black Umbro Diamond that's all the rage. But hang on a second; I hop out of bed, put my feet down... and jump back into bed, a piercing pain shooting through my foot and up to my leg.

I've had a dodgy foot for a few weeks. I don't really know what happened but I suspect I rolled my foot over in the first match of the season on a bone-hard pitch when I was running the line. The foot has been sore since then, but over the last few days had got worse. So with great regret, I call off my fixture on Saturday and head off to A&E at Maidstone Hospital. Within half an hour I'm in the x-ray department and the radiographer has spotted something, a hairline fracture of the fifth metatarsal, a bone made famous by David Beckham and Wayne Rooney, but pretty small and insignificant otherwise. Leaving it for almost a month, and even reffing with it (I have to confess it was bloody painful!) hasn't helped the bone to heal at all. So I'm on crutches for the first time in my life and facing a lay-off of six to eight weeks, just as I was getting in to the season.

No comments: